Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What is the best paint to use to paint an electric guitar?

I'm designing my own guitar and I'm not sure what the best type of paint is for the job. I've seen several videos and forums that use spray paint but I want to be sure that is the route to go. And if anyone plans to answer with ';Just get it done professionally'; don't even waste your time posting it because that is not what I asked.What is the best paint to use to paint an electric guitar?
Auto Zone carries a line of paint that is exactly what you need for this. It comes in spray cans located in the automotive touch-up paint. It is made by Dupli-Color. It called EFFEX. It comes in clear and black. It is supposed it be applied over a solid color base. It will then give a glitter effect. I have used this a lot on different things. It works great. Use a clear top coat over the end result, that will add depth to the finish and make it more durable. I don't know your skill level, so I will tell you basic things. Surface preparation is 90%. The glossier something is the more the boo boos show. The paint dries quickly so you can use overspray techniques.When you are ready for the top coat let it dry overnight. Soft sand with 300 grit wet or dry. If you use a sanding block it will help you sand flat. The dust coming off will look like talcum powder. Any shiny spot you see is low it will be dull and you will think you have messed up your master piece. Wipe it down with a soft cloth and top coat it two or three times.Try different things and have a good time. If you don't like what you did let it dry overnight and paint over it. I have a walking stick that you can look at in the sun and see 6 different colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment