Thursday, March 11, 2010

How do I paint over chipped paint without having to scrape the entire room?

We have plaster walls. In a couple rooms, there is chipped paint, which my youngest child has been so kind to expand. I don't have the time or sanity to scrape the entire room's walls - plus it won't come off at all in certain spots. Do I just use spackling to smooth it over or do I really have to chisel my life away? Please say no.....How do I paint over chipped paint without having to scrape the entire room?
If the existing paint and plaster is solid, you can spackle over the missing paint. You can sand the spackling smooth when it's dry, or you can use a damp sponge or cloth to wipe it when it's almost dry. It's a bit of an art to get it smooth, but it's not too difficult. If you wipe it down too much, don't worry - you can just add more spackle to it, and start again.How do I paint over chipped paint without having to scrape the entire room?
just scrap the loose paint off in the area that is chipping, then repaint,
I had to paint a bathroom for my sister that she had removed the wallpaper and gouged up the wall pretty good in the process. Best to spackle all the chipped areas, sand smooth and inspect for any remaining gouges or defects and respackle if necessary until it all feels perfectly smooth---may take three or four tries to get it right and lightly sand the whole wall with 100 grit to knock down any small bumps or old paint drips. Prime the WHOLE wall that's spackled with Kilz primer and then paint. If you don't prime first, all the spackled areas will show up glossier than the rest of the wall as the paint gets absorbed differently between old paint and the spackled areas. Any walls that have daylight shining on them, the spackled areas will stand out like a sore thumb if not primed. Just prime the spackled walls if some are not. Believe me, I had to repaint the walls of her bathroom two times to get it to look right but I'm fussy.
Scape the bad bits and the easy ones then spackle the rest and put a thick coating of paint on. wont look as good as but not as much work.
sand and prime.


don't cut the job short as you can gets lots of $$$$$$$$$ on a good job on resale of the house
its no way you can paint over chipped paint you have no choose but to scrape it off

No comments:

Post a Comment